Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Actually, learning had always been a major priority in my family.  Growing up, if you were reading a book, you didn't have to help with the housework.  Somehow, I always managed to be reading a book.   The Bobbsey Twins, then Nancy Drew, and every series that was ever published.  The classics were next.  The only time I wasn't reading was when it was raining and I couldn't get to the library.  If it hadn't been for rain, I most probably wouldn't have learned to do anything useful.

So enrolling in college was expected.  My grandmother and grandfather were farmers.  They neither one had a high school education, but all five of their children finished a college degree.  Four teachers and an engineer.  I can't imagine how difficult this was back in the early nineteen hundreds in Oklahoma.

This all seems irrelevant, but I only want you to know that everyone  in my family was disappointed that I got married and started  family instead of starting college.  So when I finally started, everyone was pleased.  "What are you going to study?"

If you are going to attempt coursework at that level, you ought to have a plan.  I didn't.  I just kept enrolling in classes from 9 till 3.  My counselor tried to get me to follow a degree plan, but it didn't fit my time schedule.  Once they paid for the tuition, I just took.....whatever.  It worked for me.  I was "going to college," so the pressure was off.

2 comments:

  1. Janie, I would be a professional student, if I could only find someone to pay me! I'm looking forward to reading more of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think reading is a great excuse not to do housework.

    ReplyDelete