Thursday, November 1, 2012

Are you still with me?  This has all been very boring, but I wanted to give you a little validation from my background.  Here's what I've learned:

1.  You don't need a college education.
2.  If you read Reader's Digest in the 50's they should have given you a degree in everything.  (Once RD started accepting advertising, well, that's a different story.)
3.  Read something.
4.  You will get interested in something.

I was teaching a class of 17 year old seniors at my church in l968 when the schools had started teaching evolution as a fact--which was disturbing  to the Christian community to say the least.  I just wanted to find the truth about what the other side knew for sure.

Ken came home, (Thank God)

If it hadn't been for fossils and carbon dating, this subject  wouldn't have been so interesting.  I was hooked.  So I started taking all the science courses they had.  The list was comprehensive and I reached the point that I either  had to graduate  or change my major.  I changed my major.  First it was zoology, then education, then it was pre-med, then math.  As long as I kept changing majors, the tuition scholarship continued.  Eventually there wasn't any way I could keep from graduating.  I ended up one course short of a bunch of stuff.  One more course and I was done.  It was just a matter of which course.

Let me say, I had student loans which came due if I quit.  The rule about student loans was that if you weren't enrolled in six hours, you had to start paying them back.  So I kept going, and going, and going. Physics, Italian... and that was when I gave up and started paying the loans back.  I just didn't have the heart to learn Italian.



1 comment:

  1. Hi! Sounds like you took the idea of life long learning to heart. When did you discover the mysteries of DNA?

    I think it might be a good idea to separate "evolution" from "Darwinism" in your post. Having BEEN in school during those years, I can tell you that none of my teachers ever used the word "fact." The concept was, however, heavily promoted as theory - which in scientific jargon amounts to about the same thing.

    However, the idea of evolution IS a fact - people have evolved to be taller, horses now have one toe instead of four and are big enough for us to ride, dogs come in thousands of breeds that are all the same basic species. Evolution within the species is a fact. BETWEEN species - that's something different entirely.

    Does this make sense to you? Have I misunderstood your position?

    Great beginning of what promises to be a very interesting blog, Janie. I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete