Tuesday, April 5, 2016

I got an Email that my Son Scott wrote today that I thought was pretty neat.  He said, and I quote:

      I get a kick out of ignorant people that say that Jesus didn’t exist.  I ask them if Abe Lincoln existed, then George Washington.  And take them back to Genghis Khan, then on to Muhammad…..
      To a person, they will say that those people existed.  Then I ask them how they know they existed… “It is written down,” they will say.  “It is a piece of Historical FACT.”  Same old thing every time…

      I then ask them why they don’t believe that Jesus existed…. And they will say… “He is just a Bible myth”  “It’s just a story in the Bible to show us how to live…”

      I then tell them this…  “Oh, but he is mentioned in more than the Bible... His crucifixion, and his resurrection, are mentioned in more than the Bible… True, the most extensive and detailed descriptions of the life and death of Jesus are to be found in the New Testament gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John--with details supported by the other 23 books of the New Testament. However...contemporary Christian, Jewish, and Roman authors provide additional insight concerning the first-century Jewish and Roman legal systems and the details of scourging and crucifixion.  Seneca, Livy, Plutarch, and others refer to crucifixion practices in their works.

      But specifically, Jesus (and his crucifixion) is mentioned by the Roman historians Cornelius Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, and Suetonius.

      By non-Roman historians Thallus and Phlegon.
      By the satirist Lucian of Samosata.
      By the Jewish Talmud.
      And by the Jewish historian Flavius Josephus.
      Ancient Writings overwhelmingly support the Biblical account. It would be wise to accept that Jesus lived, died on the cross, and rose on the third day.  Multiple eyewitness accounts support that.
    
Scott is my research guru.  He is a good Biblical scholar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment