Friday, April 22, 2016

In Korea, when you had a hundred combat missions, you had to quit flying combat.  I have no idea what the logic was behind that, but Ken and his friend Pete Olson (They called them "The Gold Dust Twins") both had well over a hundred missions before the system caught up with them.  They just kept flying.  Both were single.  Both were a little nuts.  And of course, invincible.

When the Marine Corps caught up with them, they assigned them both to the mail run.  They were supposed to fly south to the mail drop, pick it all up and head north to distribute the mail.  The story goes that Pete made the first run, came back and said the landing was a piece of cake.  So the next day, Ken took the run and flew South looking for the drop.  He found a concrete strip with  airplanes lined up on the sides, circled and sized it up as impossible to land on--but decided to do it anyway because, "If Pete could do it, I sure as heck wasn't going to let him best me."

The way he described the landing was, "There wasn't enough concrete to roll in, so I stalled the plane over the concrete and plopped in--heart in my throat.  Stuck my head out of the plane and asked for the mail."  A crowd gathered, and  someone informed him, "Postal drop is further south.  This is the repair facility."  So here he was, stuck on a postage stamp of concrete.  And if he didn't get the plane out of there, Pete would never let him forget it.  So he backed the plane up into the hanger to get some extra runway, revved it up and took off--figuring he was going to kill himself.  "Tires clipped the fence, but I got airborne, flew south, got the mail and delivered it.  But it was too good to keep to myself.  I picked Pete up, and we flew back to look it over."

"You're kidding," Pete said.
"Nope, that's where I landed.  Like you said, piece of cake."
"Yeah, I bet.  Question is, how did you get out?" Pete asked him.
"That's a good question." Ken replied.  "I really don't know, because I don't think it can be done."

No comments:

Post a Comment