Monday, March 10, 2014

Heb. 4:12  "For the word of God is quick, and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."  The Bible changes us.

I guess by now you know that I have a deep attachment to the Bible.  The verses are so uplifting.  They are so encouraging and full of life and love.  It is such a blessing to know that God loves us and is on our side, trying to get us through all the troubles that come our way.  If it weren't for a lifetime  of memorizing verses, I don't think I would have made it through the first seven years of married life.  But I was intent on doing God's will, so I just kept on keeping on.  God loved me.  Ken loved me.

I moved four times during the thirteen months that Ken was gone.  I ended up leaving Oklahoma and driving back to California, going just north of San Francisco to Hayward to stay with his folks.  I was so broke.  Ken sent all his pay home, but there was never enough.  Yes, I drove with two babies.  I did it in two days.  I must have been nuts.  I stopped for gas.  We ate peanut butter sandwiches that I made before we left.

There was no money for phone calls.  No such thing as a cell phone.  No such thing as a computer, or e-mail.  We wrote.  A few weeks ago, I was cleaning out some things in the garage and found his letters.  He wrote faithfully.  I am going to read them again.   Someday.

When the thirteen months were over, I picked him up at the airport with one arm extended.  "No more babies," I told him.  "No more."  He picked me up and kissed me and everyone coming off the plane clapped and cheered.  The Marine returns to his family.

His orders were to Quantico, Virginia.  Moving.  Always moving.





No comments:

Post a Comment