Saturday, January 12, 2013

The book of Genesis is true.  I started this blog by saying that there were three areas in which the world would attack your faith:  The virgin birth, the resurrection, and the creation story.  I have shared my thoughts on the creation story because I have always found the topic so very interesting.  Perhaps sharing my thoughts will strengthen your confidence in the truth of God's word.

I have always been interested in science, engineering, dinosaurs, archeology and extinctions of animals on the earth. It led me to a life of study in those areas, finally ending up by studying statistics  to see what was statistically feasible--and 20 years of teaching math at a junior college.   I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by just saying "The Bible is true.  Without error."  But I've always been a "Prove it" kind of person.  And there was so much bickering on the topic of Genesis.

The story of Thomas in the new testament was the story that sealed my own conversion.  Give me a good doubter any day.  They tend to make you want to prove whether something is true or not.  Thomas said that he wouldn't believe in the resurrection unless he put his hand in the hole in Jesus' side and in the holes in Jesus' hands.  If the resurrection wasn't true, well there goes the whole validity of Christianity.  Without the resurrection we have no hope.  So even though all his friends (the other disciples) said they had seen Jesus, that he was risen, Thomas said he wouldn't believe it unless he saw it himself.

So Christ appeared to Thomas and told him to put his hand in His side and touch the holes in His hands.  Thomas didn't need to.  He fell to his knees and said, "My Lord and my God."  No one ever called Jesus "God" before.  In an instant, Thomas became a believer and did a 180 degree turn.  He began to travel and tell the story of the resurrection of Jesus.  That is enough for me--to prove the resurrection of Jesus.

Like I said, give me a doubter any day.  They make you work hard to find the truth.

The book of Genesis is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment