Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Finally, the forth point that John makes in this short letter is about those deceivers.  He gives a warning and clear instructions about how to deal with those who bring a message that is not true, and is not doctrinal.  He says, "…don't receive them."  But more than that:

II John 1: 10-11  "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed;  For he that bids him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds."

We have probably all had one of those "religion groups" that pervert the gospel come knocking at our door.  I used to try and be polite and point out what the Bible says.  I tried to show them why they were wrong according to God's word.

But when I read the book of II John, a letter written for all of us, written for all time, I came to the realization that I was handling the situation wrong.  From that point on, when they came to my door, I would ask them to wait on the porch until I could get my Bible.  Then I would open it to II John 10-11, read it to them and say:

1. You don't agree with the doctrine of the Bible.  You don't agree with the message from the apostles.
2.  I am forbidden by God's word to receive you into my house.
3.  I am forbidden by God's word to encourage you or bless you with "God's speed"
4.  I am told by God's word that if I encourage you that I am a partner in your false, perverted message.
5.  Please leave.  And no, I don't want your literature.  And no, I don't want to argue the subject.

These people are not trying to reach the lost.  They are preying on those who are weak in their knowledge of God's word.  They don't evangelize, they proselytize.  They love to argue.

Don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment