Friday, December 5, 2014

I have been writing about the faith chapter in the book of Hebrews.  And as I was thinking about men of faith, I couldn't help but share with you (yesterday)  some of the story of my dad and his brother.  They were the two greatest men of faith that I have known.  Kind, caring, giving…so much like Jesus.  Men of faith.  They lived their faith up to the day that each of them left us in death to see their faith fulfilled.  People like that are such a witness to us.  They strengthen our own faith.

After the writer tells us about the faith of Abraham, he speaks these words in Hebrews 11:13 "These, (the men of faith) all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth."  Men of faith look afar off, they are persuaded, they embrace the promises of God.  The world looks on men like that as strange.  They live what they believe.

Those of us who believe God's promises don't think that they are strange at all.

There is such peace in knowing people like my dad and his brother.  They were both quiet men.  Unassuming, gentle, and generous.  Confident that what God had promised, God would do.

I can still see my dad--after he had given up on getting all of us together for family devotions--wandering from room to room with the Bible in his hand, reading out loud.  He would start reading in his bedroom, then move through all the rooms in our house one by one.  Everybody got some of it.  He got all of it.

Jesus said that if we had faith the size of a mustard seed, we could move mountains.  Dad's three children are also practicing people of faith.  I think he did okay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment