Friday, December 12, 2014

The ages of the women in my Sunday morning Bible class are for the most part over sixty five.  We have a few younger women.  One in particular--Sandy--has taken us under her wing.  She bakes banana nut bread for each of us every now and then.  For absolutely no reason at all except she likes us.

At the end of a person's life, they have fewer contacts, fewer activities, and many are alone.   It feels good to have a younger person treat you like you are special.  I am eating banana bread for breakfast this week.  Yum.

Simple kindness is something that all of us can participate in.  The only requirement is that you look around you for someone who is going through a hard time.  Or through a happy time.  Or any kind of time.  

One of the younger women in my church--Amy--sends me a card in the mail every week or two.  It's fun to get a real letter in the mail.  Most mail is junk.  When you go to the mailbox and see a hand written address on an envelope, you know someone was thinking of you.

I was raised in a time when everyone wrote letters and put them in the mail.  Hardly anyone does that anymore.  I have letters that people wrote from years and years ago.  A letter is real.  You can touch it.  You can save it.   Email is quicker, but not the same.  Nobody that I know writes newsy email letters.

I am glad that they didn't have email back when the Bible was written.  Someone would have deleted it for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment