Tuesday, July 25, 2017

 "...a time to plant and a time pluck up that which is planted."  That is the next line that the writer wrote in Ecclesiastics 3:2  I know something about that that statement.

I planted tomatoes back early in May.  Six Jet Star, and two Heritage cultivars.  They have gone into overdrive.  I have picked close to one hundred huge tomatoes so far, and they are still growing like weeds.  I have given away tomatoes up and down the street to anyone who wants them.  Everybody tells me that their tomatoes aren't bearing hardly at all.  I don't know why that is.  I love growing tomatoes, and have always been successful.  I think it's because I water them twice a day?

And okra.  I have picked enough okra to fry a skillet full and have family over for dinner.  It is also growing like gangbusters.  I have to pick it every day or it gets away from me.  The only other things I planted were parsley and asparagus.  It will take three years before I can pick the asparagus, but the parsley is doing well.  I cook with it every week.

Maybe the old timers were right (like the writer in Ecclesiastics said) about there being a right time to plant a particular vegetable.  I know that I've got the "right time" down pat for planting tomatoes and okra.  But there is no particular time that is dictated for "plucking up that which was planted."  There will come a day when the vines and bushes will quit bearing.  And nothing you can do will make them start producing tomatoes or okra again.  Those vines and bushes are done.  Their season is over.   It mattered when you planted them, but it doesn't make a bit of difference when you pull (pluck) them up.  They are now trash.   It is all a matter of the sunlight and temperature.

Which echoes what the writer said that I wrote about yesterday:  For every thing there is a season.  A time to live and a time to die.  The death of the tomatoes and okra will come at the first frost.  But in the meantime, I am going to enjoy their "season."  And even though the tomato vines will be through at the first frost, I will pick all the green tomatoes that are still on the vine, wrap them in newspaper to block the light, and still be eating my tomatoes come January.

Right now, I'm in-between the planting and plucking up season.  And it's all good.


No comments:

Post a Comment