Wednesday, July 26, 2017

This third chapter of Ecclesiastes--that I've been discussing--is one of the most widely known and universally quoted passages in the Bible. Verse 3 continues: "A time to kill, and a time to heal..."

I wish the passage had said "euthanize" instead of "kill."  But it's the same thing either way.  Like Pat's horse Reagan--that she had to "put down, euthanize," last week.  It was so sad, but he couldn't stay up on his feet; he couldn't support his own weight.  His season was over.  He was over a hundred years old in human years and was worn out.  He was dying that very day.  Pat said, "I am responsible for him.  He depends on me to take care of him--and I can't let him lie down out in the pasture today, in this 100 degree heat, and suffer in misery while he dies a horrible death."  It was the right time; he couldn't make it any longer--hard decision, but the right thing to do.  Pat cried all day.

We kill animals all the time.  We don't give it much thought when we are grilling hamburgers.  That's about animals.  But what about people?  I don't know about you, but if someone had broken into my house and tried to harm one of my children, I would have had no problem shooting them.  Wouldn't have wanted to, but would have done it anyway.  There is a time to kill.

Ken fought in two wars.  He understood death under fire.  But we Americans--you and I--send our troops into harm's way over and over again.  Justified?  We've been sending men and women to the middle East for fourteen or more years.  What are we trying to do?  Why are we doing it?  How do we get out of it?  Who knows.  As Ken would say, "As a Marine, I serve at the pleasure of the President of the United States of America.  Elected by the people of America."  He also said, "You don't ever, ever, go to war without an exit strategy."  Perhaps if we were the ones doing the shooting, or the ones being shot at every day, we would decide to do things differently.  But we are far removed from the killing fields and can go about our daily lives without much thought.

Killing is easier than healing.  But there is a time to heal.  Killing is instantaneous; healing takes time, sometimes years and years.  And leaves scars.  God sent His Son to die.  Allowed Him to be killed.  On purpose.  With intent.  What a horrible thing that Jesus endured--because you and I were guilty.  His death was a result of love.  God's love for us.  "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13  God did that.  For you.  For me.


No comments:

Post a Comment