Friday, December 29, 2017

Every week it was the same.  He would fly in on Friday, spend Friday night to Sunday night trying to convince me to marry him--go back to work in Pensacola and repeat the procedure the next week.  It must have been exhausting.  But he was right.  Resisting was getting harder and harder.  There is nothing quite as appealing as being pursued.  He wasn't giving up.

One night after we had gone to eat, we came back to the house and he asked, "Okay, exactly what is it going to take?"  Obviously he hadn't thought it was going to be this hard.  Was he conceited?  I don't think so.  He just had never met someone who said they weren't interested.  Obviously he was good looking.  Obviously he had money to spend.  Obviously he had an over the top car.  Why wouldn't you want to marry him.

So, I answered his question flippantly--I definitely wasn't serious.  "Well, at least 3/4 of a karat set in platinum with four prongs."  He left on Sunday and Tuesday in the mail a 3/4 karat diamond ring set in platinum, with four prongs, arrived in the mail.  He called, "Does it fit?  Did you try it on?"  Of course I had tried it on.  Yes, it fit.  I was shocked.   "Are you going to wear it," he asked?"  Truth was, I had a date with another guy that night--so no, I wasn't going to wear it.  I figured it was a zircon, so the next day I took it to my jeweler to see if it was real.  It was, and the jeweler said, "I've never seen a diamond this perfect.  This was getting serious.

So, I talked with my mom.  "I'm too young to get married.  How would I know if he was the right person even if I considered it?  How  do you know when you are  really in love--enough to get married?   She said four things.  He obviously loves you.  He is a Christian.  Everyone in the town of Pryor adores him.  (Which was true.)  And, he will make you a good living.  Typical requirement for moms that had gone through the depression.

Was I attracted to him.  Mercy.  He was so good looking.  He was so smart.  He was so sincere.  He had declared his love in hundreds of ways.  So the next weekend I told him, "You were right, I can't resist you any longer.  I think what I feel is love, but whatever it is, it's enough.  I'll marry you.   And on August 18, I did.  Best decision I ever made.  And for fifty-seven years, I loved him with all my heart.  I love him still.  I'm so glad he knew what he wanted--and didn't give up until he got it.


No comments:

Post a Comment