Thursday, August 29, 2013

I was probably in the second grade.  All of us kids walked home back then.  It was safe. No one hurt anyone, much less a  child.  If they did, they would probably be dead by morning.  Vigilante law had been in effect as recently as 50 years earlier, and in Oklahoma, in the 40's,  justice was still pretty much swift.  Maybe not always legal, but swift.

There was a field of clover on the way home.  I always stopped and watched the bees darting around in the blossoms while I hunted for four leaf clovers.  And I always found one.  I got pretty good at it.

I would take them home, press them in a book until their leaves were dry and brittle.  I didn't know if there was such a thing as luck, but I wanted to be on the safe side.  I had a lot of four leaf clovers.  There was even a song about them that was popular at the time:

"I'm Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover"

I'm looking over a four leaf clover 
I overlooked before
  One leaf is sunshine, the second is rain
Third is the roses that grow in the lane

No need explaining
The one remaining is somebody I adore
I'm looking over a four leaf clover
I overlooked before.

Now that I'm older, I no longer believe in luck.   But I definitely believe in prayer.  God answers prayer.   Ken has had two much easier days.  Yesterday and today.  Some of you out there must be praying for him!!    James 5: 16b "The… effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much."  

And that isn't luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment