Monday, November 17, 2014

I have the will power of an ox.  But.  I have the attention span of a gnat.

Ken was one of those people who, when he started something, he finished it.  And nothing would distract him.   He just kept plugging away until the job was done.  It drove me nuts.  "Can you come help me?" I would ask.  "When I get through with what I'm doing," he would answer.

I, on the other hand, can only stay hooked up on a task for a short time.  Then I have to do something else.  My ox-will-power sees that I finish all my projects, but not all at once.  I will have five or six things going at a time.  But every day I finish something.  Yesterday it was the dressing for the turkey--which is now in the freezer.  Then I did the cranberry sauce.  Then I read a book.  I hold the things I like to do--like read--out in front of me like a carrot in front of a horse.  It helps me keep plugging.

I think we are all supposed to be doing things.  Useful things.  It took me three or four days to make the dressing.   Get out the recipe.  Stop.  Get out the pan.  Stop.  Bake some cornbread.  Stop, etc.  I just kept stopping.  And starting.   And eventually I got there.

  • Psalms 92:4 (KJV)

    "For you, Lord, have made me glad through your work: I will triumph in the works of thy hands."

    God finishes what he starts.  He doesn't tune in and tune out.   He is working in our lives.   All the time.  "Stop" is not in his vocabulary.   

1 comment: