Monday, November 3, 2014

I spent part of the week in Edmond.  On Thursday, my son-in-law was trying to finish up a house he was planning to rent.  My daughter and I spent the day helping him hang rods and drapes.  He told us that a man had come up to him in the yard and asked if there was any work he could do.  "I'm almost finished," my son-in-law told him."  There isn't anything left to do."

The man said he would do anything.  That he and his wife were trying to get to El Reno, and that they had run out of gas.  He said that he had a job there.  He pulled out a piece of paper with the job offer for a welder on it.  "I need to get to El Reno really bad.  I don't want a handout," he said.  "I'll do anything you want me to do."

"Well, you could plant some grass for me.  There is a four foot square that needs a little work.  It isn't much.  Maybe fifteen minutes."

The man finished the grass, asked if there wasn't anything else he could do?  My son-in-law said "No" and gave him eighty dollars.  The man looked at him, looked at the money, and began to cry.  He reached out ant hugged my son-in-law and said, "God is good!!  You have blessed us more than you will ever know.  Now we can get to El Reno and get something to eat.  Thank you so much your help."

My son-in-law has always lived by the rule that you reward the working poor.  I don't know who got the greater blessing that day.   I know I was blessed just hearing the story.  Ps. 41:1  "Blessed is the man that considers the poor: the Lord will deliver him in time of trouble."

"The person that has pity upon the poor lends unto the Lord…" Proverbs 19:17   "The person that gives to the poor shall not lack…."  Proverbs 28:27
 God put a man that wanted to work in the path of a man who was willing to help someone--someone that didn't just want a handout.  God has a way of doing things like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment