Friday, February 10, 2017

An angel appeared to the wife of a man named Manoah--one more important woman that didn't have a name--and told her that she wouldn't be barren anymore, she would have a son--and that she was not to drink any wine or strong drink.  This son would be a Nazarite from the day he was born and was never, never to cut his hair.  She named him Sampson.  He would become Israel's last Judge.

You would think that a man given by God for such an important role as a judge would respect his office.  But Sampson was a womanizer.  First he took a Philistine woman to be his wife--over his parent's objections.  Sampson made a wager, a riddle for the wedding party men to solve.  Those same men talked his new wife into finding out the answer to the riddle.  "Go entice Sampson."

So she wept and said, "You don't love me, you hate me because you put a riddle before the sons of my people and didn't tell me the answer."  Sampson told her that he hadn't even told his mother or father, but his new wife wept for days.  So on the seventh day he gave in and told her the answer.
Big mistake.  She told the male members of the bridal party, and Sampson lost the bet.

Sampson left to hunt down and kill some of the men, and while he was gone,  his new wife's father gave her to another man.  So he went to Gaza and found a harlot to sleep with.  Sampson was stupid where women were concerned.  How he had the sense to be a judge is questionable.

Next he fell for a woman named Delilah--who wanted to know where his strength came from.  He lied to her three times, tricked her.  She revealed what he had told her to the men of her city all three times.  And when what Sampson had told her proved not to be true, she said, "How can you say I love you when your heart is not with me.  You have mocked me three times and not told me where your strength lies."  So he told her the truth.  "My hair.  If I cut it I will lose my strength."

She had him sleep in her lap and while he was sleeping she called one of the men and he cut off Sampson's hair.  He woke up weak, unable to defend himself and they cut out his eyes.  I don't understand how some men seem to fall for the wrong kind of women over and over again.  You would think they would learn.  He chose three women.  All  of them untrustworthy.  I can't help but wonder how sad his mother must have been at his indiscretions.  Three women.  All wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment