Thursday, February 23, 2017

My son Scott has been reading through the Bible again, and was reading about Hannah at the same time I was.  He sent me a note to say that God blessed Hannah after she "lent" Samuel to Eli to raise in the service of the Lord.  God gave her more children, three sons and two daughters.  So she was not alone.  God's blessings are always in abundance.

Hannah gave Samuel to God's service not knowing that she would have other children.  She gave all she had.  Everything.  Her first born. Without grudging.  I can't help but wonder if this is a picture of what God did.  First born son Jesus.  Given to us.  Without grudging.

While Samuel was in the service of the Lord, Hannah continued to care for him.  "Moreover, his mother made him a little coat and brought it to him.  From year to year she visited him when she came up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice."  I bet that was the highlight of her year.  You know it must have meant the world to Samuel.  "And the child Samuel grew on, and was in favor both with the Lord , and also with men."  And later, when Samuel was the judge of Israel, think of the pride she must have felt at the man he had become.  

I used to make everything my children wore.  I did love to sew!!  And it was something that I was good at--we like to do things we are good at.  But the story of Hannah making Samuel a little coat reminded me of one of my colossal failures.  I had constructed a two piece suit for Scott to wear on Sundays.  It looked professional (if I do say so myself). When it was finished, Scott tried it on, looked up at me and said, "I can't wear this, Mama."  I was crushed.  "What is wrong with it?  Why won't you wear it," I asked?  He answered, "You put the buttonholes on the wrong side.  I'm a boy.  These are "girl" buttonholes."

I had made things for my two girls and myself for years and years, but this was my first attempt at making something for Scott.  I didn't know about buttonholes being on different sides.  I couldn't help but wonder--when I was reading about Hannah making Samuel a coat--if Hannah got the buttonholes on Samuel's coat on the right side.



No comments:

Post a Comment