Wednesday, February 15, 2017

So Naomi and Ruth trudged down a dirt road toward Judah together.  Naomi leading the way.  And Ruth following this courageous woman that she had come to love and admire.  Now bonded in a way that few of us ever have an opportunity to bond.  A strong fellowship with total allegiance to each other.  And as they finally approached Naomi's old city, I'm sure that Naomi must have wondered if any of her relatives, or any of her friends would still be there.  And if they would be glad to see her.

As they wandered into town, the people of the city were moved saying, "Is this Naomi?"  She said to them, "Do not use that name for me.  Call me Mara, for God has dealt very bitterly with me.  I went out from this place with a full life.  But I have returned empty.  I have lost everything.  My husband and my sons.  I have no one to protect and provide for me and my daughter Ruth."  (She no longer called Ruth her daughter-in-law.  Ruth had become a daughter to Naomi in every way.)

They had no land, no money, and no way to earn themselves a living.  All that the two of them could do was glean for grain.  And Naomi was too old to glean--stooping over and picking up what was left after the harvest.  So Ruth said, "Let me go to the field and glean for corn.  Maybe I will find grace in the eyes of the owner of some field and he will let me pick up what is dropped."  So Naomi told Ruth, "I have a kinsman, Boaz, a very wealthy member of my family who might let you glean his field.  Go, my daughter."  They were desperate, so Naomi blessed Ruth and sent her off into the unknown.

While Ruth was gathering grain, Boaz noticed her and asked who she was.  "A Moabite woman.  She came from Moab with Naomi and lives with her."  Whether it was pity or attraction, I don't know.  But Boaz told her "Do not go to glean anywhere else, stay here with my maidens as they glean.  And when you need a drink of water, go to our vessels.  I have charged the young men not to bother you in any way.  You will be safe here."

Ruth fell on her face before him.  "Sir, why are you doing this.  I am an outsider.  I am not an Israelite."  She wanted him to know that she was a foreigner.  I can only imagine the relief that she felt at that moment.  Now she would be able to feed herself and Naomi because of this man's kindness.  The weight of providing for the two of them must have weighed heavy upon Ruth.  She loved Naomi, and knew that she, Ruth, was what stood between the two of them and starvation.





No comments:

Post a Comment