Friday, October 31, 2014

Proverbs 15:23  "A person has joy in making an apt answer, and a word spoken at the right moment--how good it is."

Proverbs 25:11 "A word fitly spoken and in due season is like apples of gold in settings of silver."

My daughter told me (again) yesterday, "You write more precisely than you talk."  It's true.  When I am talking, I am thinking out loud.  And usually say too much.  I have always done that.  I say something so I can hear how it sounds and then I can know whether I agree with myself or not.  When I am writing, I get to go back and edit myself.  I can say exactly what I really want to say.  I get to talk out loud on paper.  Or the computer.  With an eraser.

I have always admired people who are able to formulate their responses on the spot.  Or interject a funny comment.  I have to think about it.  Otherwise, I wish I had kept my mouth shut.  When I speak publicly, I always do it without notes.  But I have etched an outline in my mind beforehand, and practiced exactly what I want to say ahead of time.  So I know it will be right.

You know what I am talking about.  We have all have heard someone say exactly the right thing at exactly the right time.  And you have heard people say things that you wish they hadn't.

I like what the Proverbs says.  "An apt answer."  "Fitly spoken in due season."

I think I am going to work on my "apts" and my "fits" a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment