Monday, October 24, 2016

The reason I have been re-posting the Genesis story from four years ago is because I have been out of the country and couldn't mess with taking my Mac.  So, I left three weeks of posts for Pat to send out for me.  Thank you Pat.

I just wanted to see Paris one more time.  First time I went was 28 years ago.  And three or four times in between those two times.  Well, I've seen it.  I don't plan to ever go to Paris again.  The slanted sidewalks and the cobblestone streets are too much for someone my age to walk on.  My friend Carolyn went with me and agrees.

I was amused at all of the old people who used two canes.  A short one for the high side of the sidewalk and a long one for the low side.  But they still had a hitch in their git-along.  I ended up wasting two days sleeping from jet lag (I had never had that problem before) and read two books.  I just couldn't work up the enthusiasm to go revisit the sights.  Way too much walking.  Too many stairs.   "Taxi" became my byword.  Whereas before, I took a bus or the Metro.  No problem.

But on two days, we took "field trips" on the train to see the tapestries of the Apocalypse at Anjou.  Woven in the 1300's depicting many scenes from the book of Revelation.  Very interesting.  Huge.  Around 786 feet wide by 20 feet high.  Ninety scenes, of which 71 survive.  Back then, nobody could read.  The Gutenberg press hadn't been invented, and so "Preaching" came in the form of the scenes of the Bible depicted in stained glass or tapestries.

One of the train trips was to see a number of huge castles.  Also, Leonardo da Vinci's home and inventions.  Interesting. Carolyn and I ate chocolate crepes while the others explored the castles.  Too much walking.  I'll have to watch those kind of things on TV on the Discover channel from now on.
It is humbling to admit that I can't do what I used to do.  It's also irritating.

When I returned, I learned that my two 18 inch Koi had bit the dust.  I had turned the pump off because it had turned cold, but while we were gone the weather turned miserably hot and they died.  I feel terrible about it.  I'm the girl that can hardly bring myself to kill a bug.  And I have to take full responsibility for what happened.  It makes me very sad.  The two small ones survived.  I'm sure God forgave me.  The fish didn't.






No comments:

Post a Comment