Monday, August 21, 2017

Garage sale-ing sometimes gives a person an unusual opportunity to interact with someone that you would never speak to otherwise.  I don't know why that is, unless it's because you are seemingly anonymous, and that allows you to talk to people you don't know.

I have something that I sometimes say when I go to pay for something.  I say, "Are you a Christian kind of person?"  (If you say, "Are you a Christian" it sounds like you are going to preach to them--so I add "kind of person.") I figure--what the heck--I don't have anything to lose.   They are taking my money.  Usually they say yes and I give them my card and say, "I'm a writer.  I write stories with Christian emphasis.  You might enjoy it.  If not, feel free to throw the card in the trash." Non confrontational.  With a smile.

More often than not, it opens the door for further conversation such as them asking, "How did you get started doing that?" etc.  I share the story of how I began, gather up my sack of stuff to leave--and unless they further question me, I'm usually done.

Well Friday, a man standing nearby heard what I said about writing, asked for my card and said, "Did you say you write about Christianity?"  I told him yes and he said, "I am a Muslim because that is what my parents were.  I don't practice it, but I cannot change my religion or I will dishonor them.  But I want to learn more about Christianity."

So, I asked him if he wanted to read what I wrote and he most definitely did.  I gave him my card which has the web address as well as all my personal information.  My phone number as well.  I heard Ann tell him that the Bible was the source of knowledge about Christ, and that it says that Jesus is the way, the only way, to God.

When Ann and I got back in the car, she said, "I don't think I'm going to be the person--that Christ told us about--who reaps the harvest.  I think I'm the one who sows the seed."

I couldn't agree more.  I don't really care who reaps the harvest.  I'm just scattering seed everywhere I go hoping that some of it takes root.

No comments:

Post a Comment