Friday, August 18, 2017

Sixty-one years ago today--which was also a Friday--I was frantically trying to put the finishing touches on a "Squaw Dress."  I remember--because I was getting married that evening to the love of my life.  And due to nerves, I had decided that I needed something to keep me occupied.  So the previous Monday I had decided to make this dress out of pale beige crinkle cloth, with silver and white trim.  Yards and yards of trim.  Shiny silver in four or five different patterns.  It was beautiful.

I sold the dress recently in the antique shop where Becky keeps a booth for vintage clothing.  One more memory that I let go from my past.  A woman came in and had to have it.  I hope she has enjoyed it.  I did.

I have another dress hanging in my closet that is equally unusable, but this one I can't part with yet.  I designed if from a piece of black silk that had been air-painted with pale pink flowers and green leaves on one side of the bolt--it was an asymmetrical fabric.  The dress I made was for the Marine Corps Ball in 1964 when I was 26 years old.  It was skin tight to the knees--where it flared out into a gathered flounce that reached to the floor with a bow in the back where the flounce began.  

I look at it every now and then to remember.  Two things.  The first is how much Ken and I loved each other.  And the second--how in the world did I ever fit into that slinky dress.  We took a picture of that night.  We're smiling.  Happy.  Ken in his dress uniform--so handsome.  Me in my black silk.

No way I could get into that dress again, and even if I could, where would I wear it!!  When you are young you can wear all sorts of things that you wouldn't dare put on after you turn thirty.  I love that dress.  It is one of the most creative designs I ever attempted.  I'm not a seamstress anymore, but back then, well, I told you a couple of weeks ago that the only thing I can claim to be an expert at is sewing.  That dress is a masterpiece.  I just can't give it up yet.  Even though it is useless to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment