Friday, August 25, 2017

We went to the Chihuly exhibit in Okla. City today.  It brought back memories of the different times that I was in Venice and didn't go see the glass blowing studios in Murano.  I wish I had taken advantage of the opportunity while I was there.  And I was in Venice more than one time.  But there is so much to do, and limited time in which to do it.  I did dance in a snow storm on St. Mark's square one time when we were there.  (By myself, with bunches of Italians dancing by themselves.  Fun.)

My daughter Becky always crammed so much into the weeks we were there that I can't remember the half of it.  We usually stayed in Florence and took the train to Venice one day and Rome the next.  But I remember the glass.  I love beautiful, useless, blown glass.

Chihuly's blown art designs in glass are all "Light and Color."  And are in museums all over the world.  His mother-in-law lives in Oklahoma City so he has donated an entire collection and exhibit to the Museum here.  I was hoping my friend Becky Bacon would love the exhibit.  She did.  She thought it was as beautiful as I did.  The City is lucky to have such a permanent gift.

We went to the National Memorial at the Murrah Building.  I had never been.  It is very impressive.  The chairs are placed on the lawn at approximately the spot where a person died.  It tears your heart to see the tiny chairs for the children.  Each chair has a name on it.  But the thing I didn't expect was the huge rectangular reflecting pool.  It can't be over an inch deep flowing over its four edges.  Moving constantly.  Like a mirror of the chairs.

Memorials.  They remind us.  And people are currently wanting to tear them down.  I wonder where it will end.  I think we should remember everything.  Seeing reminds us.

They have torn down the "Ten Commandments" on the state capitol lawn.  I guess rules of behavior offend some people.  I hope they don't start tearing down crosses on churches.  I can't help but wonder if "seeing" them will offend someone and violate their civil rights.



No comments:

Post a Comment