Monday, August 28, 2017

I am reading "The Case For Christ" by Lee Strobel.  I had read it before, but wanted to read it again.  This time I am underlining points that I feel are most relevant for review--should I want to use it in class.  One of the reasons I like to own a book is so that I can mark it.

I have marked my Bible up so much that the edges of many of the pages are frayed.  I like to do that because when I go back, I can review by reading only the underlined passages.  Especially in some of the books of the Bible that don't hold my attention very well.

Some of the Bible books (mostly minor prophets) have nothing that I particularly care about reading again.  I usually write the word "Done" at the beginning of a book that I don't care about going back to.  And when I actually do go back over them, I only read what I have underlined.  Every once and again, I'll read the entire book again.  But not very often.

Yes.  I know.  All of the Bible is God's word.  But let's face it, some parts are more important to our lives than others.  Certainly the New Testament is more critical to a new Christian than the Old.  I am not advocating throwing parts of it away, just saying that when I read, I tend to read the heavily marked up parts.  And those parts almost always have to do with instruction and guidance.  That's what I need the most.  I want to read things that I can apply to my life.

Paul is my favorite writer.  He was the only "PhD" in the group who wrote the New Testament.  He was a highly educated man who studied at the feet of Gamaliel--a Jewish leader recognized as one of the most scholarly teachers of that time.  Paul knew his Jewish history and prophecy.

Paul set as his goal to wipe out Christianity and kill all Christians.  Only when Jesus appeared to him personally on the road to Damascus was Paul converted.  He repented, but Peter and James didn't trust him. Who would.  I would have avoided him like the plague.  However, his writings show his heart.  And show his ability to connect the Old Testament with the New better than any other writer.

Paul did a 180 degree turn.  He became one of the followers of Jesus--a man who had previously been killing those believers.  Christ can change lives.  Paul is a consummate example.

No comments:

Post a Comment