Thursday, August 24, 2017

My sweet friend Becky Bacon is here for three days.  What a treat.  She is my friend who when she is coming I don't have to pick anything up--even if I'm in the middle of a project and my house is a disaster.  Pick stuff up so that it looks like I can keep house--she doesn't give a flip.  She is an RN.

And is married to Joe--the pilot who was an Indian-Indian.  Go back and read my story about him.  He is so funny.  So we tell Joe stories when she comes.  Having been raised in the Maharaja's regime in India, everything was done for him and, unless he is in the air, he is helpless.  Completely.

Well, Becky needed one back up light on her car put in before she drove to see me--asked Joe to do it--and of course, being Joe, he called a friend at the Ford agency.  $40.00 to install a light bulb.  "I should have done it myself," Becky said.  Five or six "Joe" stories later, we were laughing so hard we hurt.

God sent Becky to take care of Joe.  But as I wrote a few months ago, once he steps into an airplane, he is the greatest pilot in the world.  Ken said so--that seals it.  Joe is over seventy now and every day he teaches students how to fly.  Day and night.  "Gets him out of the house doing something he is an expert at--it sure ain't installing lightbulbs or anything else useful," Becky lovingly remarks.

Becky has one grandchild, and will not have any more, so she has poured herself into Joshua--who is brilliant.  She went to see him recently.  Joshua had a test on the ten commandments that day and didn't do so well, so Becky said, "Give me five minutes and you will never forget them again."  Later,  Joshua's father came home and Becky said, "Tell your dad the ten commandments."  Joshua did, and repeated the same thing when his mother came home."

Then Joshua said to Becky, "What's the big deal grandmother, the test is over!!"  Which Becky laughed and told him, "Oh, no Joshua.  The test is just beginning."

Can't help but wonder how many times I have thought, "Well, that's over and done with," only to realize later that God was teaching me something that I would need to know for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment