Friday, March 22, 2013

And in Chapter 5, Paul discusses the treatment of widows.  Remember I discussed the treatment of women in those days and that women had no rights or property or income.  Paul warns the church at Ephesus of neglecting their families:

 In Tim.5:8, "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he has denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."  Pretty strong words.

Different families have different needs.  We are to help.  I remember a question someone asked me concerning a daughter who wanted to get married before finishing college.  The question was whether they should help her financially to finish school.  I answered with a question:  "Were you going to help her before she was married?"  The answer was yes.  "Do you want her to finish?" I asked.  The answer was yes. "Does she need help?"  The answer was yes.  "Do you approve of her choice for a husband?"  The answer was yes.  "Does her future husband object to you continuing to help her with her school finances?"  The answer was no.  I finally asked, "Does it matter whether she is married or unmarried as long as she finishes?"

I don't know what was right for that family and their daughter.  I don't know what anyone else should do, but I have always wondered why we put so many restrictions and conditions on helping someone.  And yes, there is a difference between helping and enabling.  Each case is different.  That is where wisdom comes in.

God, please, give us wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment