Saturday, March 16, 2013

I Tim. 3:1-14  is an instruction manual for electing deacons and bishops.  Paul wants Timothy to have a church that runs well.  Churches have business to attend to.  (Especially now that the IRS is involved.)  You need good people to run them so that the pastors can minister to the people and preach the word of God.  If your church is like mine, there are a million and one things that need to be done.  This week some jerk who doesn't like my church cut the exterior wiring to our heating unit.  It's always something.

Paul ends the chapter this way:  I Tim. 3:15  "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."   God (himself) was:

1.  Manifest in the flesh--Philippians 2:6-7  "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:  But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:"   He was God.  He was man.  God became a servant.

2.  Justified in the Spirit--I Cor. 6: 11b  "…you are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God."  When we come to judgement, the Holy Spirit within us allows us to be just.

3.  Seen of angels--Heb. 1:6  "And again, when he brings in the first begotten into the world, he said, And let all the angels of God worship him."

4.  Preached unto the Gentiles
5.  Believed on in the world
6.  Received up into Glory

I'll get the next three scripture references tomorrow.  I have tried to stop typing when I reach six inches on my screen.  If you are like me, that's about as much as I can absorb.

No comments:

Post a Comment