Wednesday, May 7, 2014

I love walnut.  When it is carved, it is hard enough that it doesn't chip.  And the color is so warm.  Every time I find a piece of old walnut furniture I want to find somewhere in my house to put it.  But of course I need more pieces of furniture like a moose needs a hat-rack.  My house is full of walnut.  With marble.  Carved and pleasant to my eye.  Totally out of date.

Nobody wants that kind of stuff anymore.  Too antique.  Every young woman out there seems to want whatever their grandmother had, which is tupper-ware and red topped tables with chrome legs.
I wanted what my grandmother had.  Depression glass.  She and my Pops had a little grocery store.  Griffen tea came with a tall dark green iced tea glass.   Buy their tea and you got a free glass.  Now they are twenty dollars apiece.  If you can find them.  Gran had lots and lots of them that people didn't take.  They bought the tea and left the glass.  Stuff has meaning if your grandmother had it.

Isn't it strange what we want.  And it is all so temporary.  What is it about "stuff" that turns us on.  Most of it we don't really want after we get it.  In 1961 I thought we just had to have a Volkswagen camper.   It seemed so "hippy cool".   We bought it.  It didn't even last a year before we traded it for a more practical Chevrolet.  I wasn't a hippy anyway.

Ecclesiastes 5:11,15 "When goods increase...what good is there to the owners saving that you can behold it with your eyes.  As you came forth from your mother's womb, naked shall you return and take nothing…which you may carry away in your hand."

I think of all that I have spent on "things" and wonder what that could have done if I had just given the money to the poor.  It would have been better spent I think.

Mark 10: 21 "…One thing you lack: go your way, sell your stuff ( my translation) and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven:  and come, take up the cross, and follow me."

Guilty.



No comments:

Post a Comment