Thursday, May 1, 2014

Ken grew up in a family where his mother stayed home all of her life and took care of everything.  All the cooking, cleaning, washing, dishes, ironing, etc. etc.  So Ken had no concept of helping around the house.   I didn't grow up in a home like that.  My mom and dad both worked outside the home. I  didn't know about his kind of family.  He didn't know about my kind of family. In my family the work around the house was divided.  Since my dad grew up in a restaurant, he chose the kitchen.  Mom cooked.  Dad cleaned up.  It was that way with everything.  We all worked together in the house.  Kind of like family time.

Ken and I had only been married for a few months when he got orders to Camp Pendleton, California.  They train ground Marines there.  Part of that training was air to ground coordination.  That was his job.  It wasn't flying.  It was go to work early, get down in the dirt, long days, come in late, tired and filthy,  ready to take a shower, finally sit down and read the paper.

I, on the other hand, was eighteen, no friends, (not a single person) far, far from family in Oklahoma, on top of a treeless hill in the boonies, where I never saw anybody, with nothing to do.  All by myself all day.  Housework didn't take much time.  I read and waited for Ken to come home and talk to me.  To visit with me.  He had a  life.  I didn't."

After we had been at Pendleton for a few days, I fed him his supper, put every thing away and started on the dishes.  "Ken, come dry for me," I called to him.
"No.  I don't do dishes.  I'm reading the paper."  I had been alone all day.  I just wanted company.  I guess he thought I was trying to give him more work to do.  For me, it just meant we could talk to each other in the kitchen.  Miscommunication.

My feelings were hurt.  He was exhausted and irritated.  It went down hill from there.  And he got in the car and left.  An hour later, he came in the front door and said, "I'm broke.  I don't even have fifty cents to get in the BOQ."  (Bachelor's Officer Quarters)

"Then I guess you better stay here for the night."  We worked that out, too.
"Be angry and sin not.  Don't let the sun go down on your wrath."  Ephesians 4: 26







No comments:

Post a Comment