Friday, May 9, 2014

I went to a high school percussion concert last night.  I especially wanted to hear the marimbas since I play the marimba.  I have been doing that for sixty two years.  Now only at church.  It brought back a million memories of high school band. Getting up in the morning and being on the football field by seven in the morning with a bell lyre strapped around my neck and going to school with soaking wet feet from the dew.

I also play the piano for our church.  I can't feel my fingertips (Chemotherapy--avoid it; it kills the nerve endings in your fingers and feet)  so it makes for some interesting finger work when I play.  But I am enjoying it.  I told you once that I went forty years without playing, but it is like riding a bicycle.  You don't forget how,  you just can't do it as well as you used to.

My daughter tells me that I never talk about my mother.  Well, I am who I am because of my mother.  She drove me.  I was a reader and would have never have done anything else if she hadn't pushed me to participate.  I speak at functions and teach because she saw that I started elocution lessons when I was seven years old and continued doing so for a number of years.  I have never been afraid of speaking in front of people as a result.  She believed that you should accomplish something.  Do something, don't just sit there.  I play the piano because she saw that I practiced every day before I could pick up a book.

I am sure you learned to do some things that made you a better person because someone pushed you a little bit.  Or encouraged you.  I was pretty sedentary so I needed a push.

Ecclesiastes 9 10  "Whatsoever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might."

You will end up being able to do something.  I wish I had learned to play the guitar.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment