Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Today, I was going through old drafts I had made and found this one.  With Easter coming up soon, I thought you might appreciate it......

After your children are grown, you find out all kinds of things that you never knew before.  When all four of mine get together,  it is a hoot.  I thought I had them under control when they were growing up. But obviously I didn't.

Scott always has us in stitches when he tells the story about the two girls crucifying him one Easter. We had moved to California for five months, waiting on Ken to retire.  We were living on base at El Toro in officer's housing.  Which wasn't much.  Two bedrooms and one bath. Adequate but nothing luxurious.  Pat was in the fifth grade.  Becky in the third and Scott was four years old.

There was a big tree in the front yard and the street was pretty busy.  Easter was coming up and unbeknownst to me, the girls got ropes and tied Scott to the tree with his arms out, fastened to a couple of branches--like a cross.   They told him he was going to be Jesus in their Easter pageant.  They made him a crown of thorns.  But the girls got tired, went in the house and left him there.   Naked as a blue jay except for a tea towel wrapped around him in an appropriate position.   Which the wind eventually fell off.

 I don't know who cut him down.   I also don't know why I never heard about it until they were grown.  You would have thought one of the neighbors would have told me.

At least they knew the crucifixion story.

Ephesians 6:1  ''Children obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right."

They didn't disobey.  I never told the girls not to crucify their brother.  If I had, I would have told them not to crucify him in the front yard on a main street.  Or at least to check occasionally to see if he still had his tea towel.








No comments:

Post a Comment