Monday, August 29, 2016

I have finished the Bible verse booklet I have been working on for my granddaughter.  As I went through the Bible book by book, it was amazing how many verses had had special meaning to me at some point in my life.  There were over 200 of them.  All Bible verses are important, but, let's face it, some verses are more important to us than others.  At least that's the way it is for me.

When I finished with that, I decided to go through the letter of 1 John again.  It is only four pages long, but packed with first hand accounts--that John shares from his three years as a disciple of Jesus.  My friend Sally, who lives in Hattisburg, Mississippi is doing it along with me.  We're studying it over the phone.  I'm a great believer in concentrating on one book at a time, rather than reading something and rushing on to the next letter or book.  (And forgetting what you have read.)

John uses the word "write," "written," "declare," or "proclaim" over 13 times in four pages.  He was very concerned that the story of the Christ was going to be lost if he didn't "write" it down.  Every one of the disciples that had first hand knowledge of what Jesus said and did was dying.  There is such urgency in John's words.   He  has realized that he, too, may soon be gone.  He wants people to know that he is writing down the truth.  A permanent written record.  And it is directed to all of us.

The first verse of his letter sums up his feelings. "That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have touched, of the Word of Life (for the life was manifested and we have seen it, and bear witness and show unto you that eternal life...") 1John 1-2a.

Heard, seen, looked on, touched--this is real.  An account of Jesus so personal that people would be insane not to read it, and know that John knew Jesus.  Really knew him.  They were friends.  But much more, Jesus was God incarnate and John knew without a doubt that he had touched the face of God Himself in Jesus.  John had seen him die and witnessed him later--alive.

When you read scripture, everything points to the death and resurrection of Jesus.  John was there.  He saw it.  He heard it.  He touched Jesus.  What a message.  Read it.  It won't take ten minutes and it could change your life.

1 comment: