Tuesday, August 9, 2016

I told you yesterday that I had learned some things by reading 1Samuel.  Truth is, every time I read any part of the Bible, I learn something.  The thing I don't understand is why so few people read it.  Here we have a story about eternal life.  About that Spiritual entity called God, and what he has done in the lives of people throughout history.  It is a well documented historical account of His plan for earth and the people he created.  It is one of the richest pieces of literature in the world.  And the oldest.  It should be required reading for any person who wants to call themselves educated!!

It gives us an idea of what God will do for us.  There are promises in this book--but if you don't know what they are, they go unclaimed in your life.  We can learn about God, what He wants from us, and how to claim his blessing of life after death.  But you have to choose to read it for yourself.  You can't find the path to God from a church, from baptism, from a priest, or from trying to be good.  Those things are important, but they don't save you.  Only God can do that.

Just think of it.  No other message in history gives us a path to forgiveness, redemption, and acceptance into the family of this Supreme Being.

I am always amazed at the things people say about finding their way to God, such as:  "I think I have done more good in my life than bad--so I think I'm going to heaven."  That is completely contrary to the message God has given us.  The Bible says that there is only one way.

Others say, "I went to confession this week so I'm okay."  The Bible doesn't support that either.  Or they say, "I'm a member of the only true church."  Again, not supported by scripture.  Or, "I've been baptized."  You can dunk a turkey in water but it still comes out of the water a turkey.

The Bible says, "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God."  Come short.  That's where we are.  And until we look at ourselves and own up to the things we have done that were wrong, there is no way to get rid of them.  "I'm sorry.  God, please forgive me."  That's a good place to start.  That is the point where God can say, "Okay, I've been waiting on you, and here is my plan.  I have a Son who is willing to take your sin on Himself and pay your penalty."  Now that is love.  True, real love.

No comments:

Post a Comment