Thursday, August 4, 2016

My mom saw to it that I did everything a child could possibly be expected to do.  Piano.  Elocution.   Drama.  Puzzles--math and otherwise.  Reading the classics.  Reading everything as a matter of fact.  I told you once a couple of years ago that if I was reading, I didn't have to help with the housework.  So I read.  And read.  And read.  Duh.

I didn't like my second grade teacher.  I remember nothing about that year.  Not one single thing.  But in the third grade we put on a play:  Cinderella.  There were three speaking parts and I had one of them.  One of the bad sisters.  My friends teased me that it was type casting.  The part for Cinderella went to a cherub of a little girl with blond curly hair.  (Another Duh.)  The other bad sister was the principal's daughter--Anna Lee.  Who did happen to be sassy in real life.  Anna Lee and I were both in elocution--so I guess it paid off that we learned to speak in front of people.

We were all dressed as flowers.  I was a Tiger Lily.  Anna Lee was a Holly Hawk.  Cinderella, of course, was a Rose.  (Another Duh.)  I remember nothing else about that year.  And only one thing about my fourth grade year.  I got stabbed in the leg with a lead pencil by the fourth grade bully.  Whose dad was the high-school coach.  You can't fight city hall.  I still carry the lead in my leg.

How can you spend four years of your life and remember so little of the events.   I guess the point was to learn stuff, which most of us did.  I am pretty oblivious--so everyone else probably remembers more about school than I do.   School for me was agony.  I already knew most of the stuff we were supposed to learn and just had to sit there all day and be bored to tears.   It got better once I reached the eighth grade.  I do remember things that happened outside of school.  Family things.  Church things.  That was where I made friends.  And they lasted a lifetime.

Proverbs 27:17  "Iron sharpens iron; so a man (person) sharpens the countenance of his friend."

No comments:

Post a Comment