Tuesday, May 14, 2013

After Moses' encounter with the voice of God coming from the burning bush, he had three responses to the voice of God.

1.  In Exodus 3:4  God spoke and Moses said, "Here am I."  God told him that he was standing on holy ground.  Then God told Moses who He was, and what the situation was in Egypt, and what his plan was to rescue  the children of Israel who were enslaved.  Moses hid his face because he was afraid.  Moses listened, but didn't look.

2.  Then God told Moses that he was going to send him to Pharaoh.  Exodus 3:10b "…that you may bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt."  Then in verse 11, Moses said,  "… Who am I  that I should go to Pharaoh…and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?".

3.  God tells Moses in verse 12, "Certainly I will be with you…".  Then Moses tells God that he has to have a reason to go back to Egypt that is good enough to make the people listen and follow him.  He says that the people will ask who sent him and want to know the name of this God.  And then in Exodus 3: 13,  Moses says,  "What shall I say?

Then in verse 14 God said,  "… I AM THAT I AM: …say to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you.".  The majestic, holy, eternal, I AM.

I am here, but who am I to do your work--but I'll do it, I just don't know what I shall say.  Moses was just a human being that God wanted to use.  Any old bush will do.  But you have to be willing even though you don't know what to say.

I confess, that when I of six years old, my mother enrolled me in an elocution class.  I was required to memorize and recite.  My teacher suggested looking in a mirror so that I could see what my verbal presentation actually looked like.  I still use that today.  If you want someone to listen to you, practice what you are going to say.  Practice makes perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment