Thursday, May 16, 2013

In Matthew 11:28-30  "Come unto me, all you that labour and  are  heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

The picture is a comparison with work animals, probably oxen, under a load that is almost more than they can bear.  Heavily laden.  Working hard.  They needed rest.  They had a yoke that held them in place with no relief.  Trudging, one foot in front of the other.  All day long.

I've been there.  You probably have, too.  The world grinds us down and spits us out.  You can't ever get any rest from it.  But Christ is saying that there is a better way.  Instead of being under the yoke of the world, he says to take his yoke, learn from him.  He lived a very simple life.

Then he gives us a reason.  He is not like a farmer driving oxen with a whip.  He tells us that he is kind, and humble, and that he will give us rest.  He will provide for our needs.

For those who have lived a long Christian life under the yoke of Jesus, there is such peace even in the midst of turmoil.  His yoke is easy.  The burden of His yoke is very light.

I never have had a single regret that I have followed Him.  I can't imagine a life that has nothing to look forward to.  Or a life that never found His peace.  His yoke doesn't weight anything at all.

My daughter's dog Maya, who was 13 years old passed away a few hours ago.  We have loved Maya for such a long time and we are all very, very sad.   Seems like I once read a book titled "All Dogs  (or horses?) Go To Heaven."  That is certainly a comforting thought.  My other daughter reminded me that horses will be in heaven, that  Jesus is coming back on a white horse.  So why not dogs?   We certainly love them.  And best of all, they love us back.  Unconditionally.  Just like God does.

No comments:

Post a Comment