Thursday, May 23, 2013

Last year, I asked the question of my Bible class:  "How do you start your prayers?  Who do you speak to?  How do you phrase the beginning of your conversation with God?"  I have always started my prayers by saying "Dear Father".  Others addressed Jesus.  One person said they spoke through the Holy Spirit.  Of course there wasn't a 'right' answer.

Over forty years ago, I had a class a that I taught that had been studying the little book "Prayer, Conversing with God" by Rosalind Rinker.  We set a chair in the middle of the room, invited God to join us and have a seat.  I asked each person if they would like to say something to Him.  It was simply an object lesson on how unfamiliar we are with talking to God.   If I had called on any one in the room to pray, they could have done it.  But the thought of God sitting in a chair waiting for us to speak to Him was daunting.

"Hi, God."  "Jesus, we are glad you are here."  "Hello, Lord."  There were so many possible openings.

I say all that to say this.  I realized this last year that I needed to do a better job of talking to Him.  So I started doing something I had never done.  I started my prayer by quoting "The Lord's Prayer" before I said anything else.  As a result,  that prayer has become so much more meaningful to me.  Christ said:

Matthew 6: 9-13  "After this manner therefore, you pray:  Our Father who is in heaven, Hollowed be your name.  Your kingdom come, your will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread.  And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:  For yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever.  Amen." 

Sometimes I sing it. 

 I think I took The Lord's Prayer for granted because it was so familiar.  I like the word "Hallowed" when I think about God.


No comments:

Post a Comment