Friday, May 3, 2013

Back to Matthew and skipping through for passages that have had special meaning for me.  In Matthew 5: 3-11, we find the beatitudes. Nine "Blesseds", followed in verse 14 with Christ telling his followers that they are the salt of the earth and the light of the world.

Matthew 5: 14-16 are the verses I want to share.  "You are the light of the world.  A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.  Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it gives light to all that are in the house.  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

One of my earliest memories of church is a childrens' song based on those words.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.  This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
Hide it under a bushel?  No!!, I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine."

I don't remember the song perfectly, but I remember the point.  I memorized verse 16.  And took it to heart, realizing that as a Christian I had a responsibility to do good works for the purpose of letting the world know that I was a follower of Christ.  So that they could also glorify our heavenly Father.

We do good things for others, and for each others so that God can be glorified.  Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment