Wednesday, April 30, 2014

I've explained how my father grew up. Wrestling hogs, hanging beef from the rafters and working in the restaurant washing dishes, cleaning tables, whatever needed to be done.

Ken's father was a different story.  He never worked in the kitchen in his life.  I don't think he ever set foot in a kitchen except to eat.  He left home and went to work full time as a carpenter and a plasterer when he was twelve years old, supporting himself.  When he married Ken's mom, he became a Christian and during the depression, he went to the seminary.  Before he could do that, he had  to go back to high school and get a degree.  Which he did, graduating the same year their daughter did.

He became a Baptist minister, moved to Pryor and was the pastor of our church--which he built.  Ken was in the eighth grade.  I hadn't started school yet.  I didn't know Ken.  But his father baptized me and his mother was my Sunday School teacher.  My dad and Ken's dad were very good friends.  Two men who couldn't have been more different.  Both of them had been forced to work like grown men when they were still children.  One grew up as an inside restaurant worker who slaughtered pigs.  One grew up as an outside construction worker.    Both of them were hard working men.

The only thing that Ken and I had in common family-wise was that both of our parents were devoted Christians.  We had very different perspectives on what men did and what women did in the home.

When my mom and dad got married, they both worked, but my mom went back to college to finish her degree at night and on the weekends so that she could teach school.  There weren't enough hours in the day, so she and dad divided up the house work.  Dad choose the kitchen.  Man's work.  She did everything else.

I've told you these stories about our families so that I can tell you about the biggest fight Ken and I ever had.  Tomorrow.  You can almost see it coming.  We hadn't learned to understand each other yet.

Psalms 4:7  "Wisdom is the principal thing;  therefore get wisdom:  and with all your getting get understanding;"




No comments:

Post a Comment