Thursday, April 9, 2015

I do not like to exercise.  I detest it.  I'm the kid who got a note from home so that I wouldn't have to go out for recess.  But.  My body is turning to flab so I am swimming every day.  And while I am exercising, I am watching the clock to see when the misery will be over.  It is one of those things that I know I need to do, but really, really, really don't want to.

Life is full of things we must (or should) do that we don't want to do.  We have to reach deep inside of ourselves and find the discipline to do them.  It isn't fun.

There are some people who don't have any discipline at all.  They float.  They think tomorrow will be a better day even though they have no plans to make that happen.  They think that for those of us who discipline ourselves it is easy, and we have it "good" because we are lucky.  You and I know that luck has nothing to do with it.  Hard work and not giving up and giving in--when things don't go right--pays off eventually.  "Eventually" is the operative word.

Like I said yesterday, following Christ means putting one foot in front of the other.  Every day.  You have to head in the right direction if you want to reach your goals.  If you want to reach God's goals.   All the footsteps in the world--if they are in the wrong direction--are just wasted effort.

Isaiah 40:31 "...they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; and they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, (one step at a time, daily) and not faint."

I think it would be cool to be an eagle.  Floating on thermals with a view of the world.  That's the kind of exercise I could live with.



No comments:

Post a Comment