Thursday, April 2, 2015

When I get up in the morning, there is always the decision of what to wear.  Am I going to work in the garden?  Clean the refrigerator?  Go to the grocery store?  Lately I have been putting on a bathing suit to go to the rec. center every morning to swim class.  An hour later, I go home and go through the entire decision making process again.  What to wear?  Pretty is no longer a priority.  Comfortable is the operative word.  Unless it is Sunday and then I make an effort.
         Then there is the sequencing of what I put on.  Underwear, pants, shirt, socks, shoes, and the horrible compression sleeve for my arm.  I used to hop into my clothes.  Now I tug and pull and end up totally irritated because I am so slow and clumsy.  Somedays I just give up and don't get dressed.  I  put on my fuzzy robe and read a  book.

Paul tells us to put on the whole armor of God.  And he "sequences" the process.
       Ephesians 6:13-17 "Therefore, take up the full armor of God that you may be able to resist in the evil day and having done everything, to stand firm...having girded your loins with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the Gospel of Peace...taking up the shield of faith...and the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. The final piece of the armor is the sword.  All the other parts of armor are defensive.  Our only offensive weapon is The word of God.  It is all we have.  But it is enough.

Paul says: Ephesians 6:11-12 "Put on the full armor of God, that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.  For our struggle is...against the rulers...powers...and world forces of this darkness..." There is a real presence in the world that is evil.  And if he can render you ineffectual, he wins.  Paul tells us we need armor because we are in a battle.  We are at war with evil.

Get prepared.  Or you are going to lose.  You will always be at the mercy of the devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment