Tuesday, November 22, 2016

I picked the last of the okra and tomatoes on Friday before the freeze.  There were over 100 tomatoes that were still green, so I wrapped them in newspaper and put them in a dark, dark place.  I've done that for years, and always have ripe tomatoes for Christmas.  I guess I could make fried green tomatoes, but I'm trying to avoid fried food.

Because.....over the last forty years I've gained about one-half a pound a year.  I'm still thin, but I want those extra pounds off. The way I figure it is if I lose one-half a pound a week, I can take it off quickly without giving anything up.  Just make a few adjustments--like not frying things.  I'm lucky because I don't like ice cream or much of anything sweet.  It's bread that is my downfall.  I never met a carbohydrate that I didn't love.

I just noticed that this blog is number 1007.  I passed one thousand and didn't even know it.  That's enough pages for at least three books!!  Good grief.

I am really enjoying my Sunday class.  I think they have all figured out that I am a little bit of a ding-bat.  They laugh at my stories a lot.  That's good.  Sunday, I told them about living in Beaufort Carolina for three years.  1963-1966.  Along with a story Pat told me last week (that I had never heard before) about her and Becky and Scott going home with our house keeper for the weekend.  Ken and I were at a church retreat.  Anyway Pat told me about the three of them going home with Mrs. Washington and going to the "black" church.

She said it was a lot more fun than our church because everyone sang peppy songs and Mrs. Washington helped them raise their hands in the air and "get happy."  I don't know why I hadn't heard that story before, but there are a lot of stories that I haven't heard before.  The three of them stayed the night and ate "soul food."  And of course were an object of interest since they were "flour" white.

Kennedy was shot in 1963, and the world was on edge.  It's nice to know that three little white children could go home with a woman of another race and spend the weekend as part of her family and come home saying they wished we had a church like that.






No comments:

Post a Comment