Wednesday, November 30, 2016

I wrote this yesterday and forgot to post it.   Sorry!!

I've been reading the Proverbs again.  There is a lot of wisdom in those verses.  And some of them are humorous--but true.  "It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop than with a brawling woman in a wide house."  Proverbs 21:9.  Pity the man who marries a loud bawdy woman.  What was it our mothers told us--"you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

Proverbs 26:11 "As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool returns to his folly."  Some people keep doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

Proverbs 12: 15 "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes.  But the person who hearkens to counsel is wise."  We all know people who never listen to anything.  Their minds are closed.  They never learn or advance their understanding.  They are right about everything and are stuck in their teens.

Give me a person that listens.  They may disagree with the speaker, but they will research to find truth.  When I'm in doubt, I have a select few people with whom I can discuss an issue.  They are able to see both sides of it and weigh the problem.  I hate to argue.  Discussion, however, helps me crystalize my thinking.

Proverbs 17:22 "A merry heart does a person good like a medicine: but a broken spirit dries up the bones."  I have friends that are always joyful.  I don't know exactly how they do it on a consistent basis, but they do.  And I love to be around them.  Joy begets joy.  I always feel better in their presence.  And of course, there are people I avoid because they are always "down."  Their lives are always half empty instead of half full.  I don't know why they are never happy.  But they aren't.

Jesus said, "These things I have spoken to you...that your joy may be full." John 15:11  Get yourself some of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment