Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Someday in the future, I will continue into the second chapter of Genesis.  But not now.  I'm done.  Like I said, I'm probably not going to write about it anymore.  I'm through.  It's out there on the web for ever more.  Oct. 3, to Nov. 14, 2016.  My friend Amy Smith has forwarded it to her son in college.  I suggest you do the same if you have someone in your life who will benefit.

I have been teaching on Sunday from the book of Acts.  Every time I teach a story that I have taught many times before, I am amazed when I learn something new.  Last week I was telling about the man who had been lame since birth.  He sat outside the gate to the temple to beg.  Every day of his life!  And all the people who went into the temple (three times a day) knew him.  Recognized him.

Peter and John came by and he asked them for money.  They said they had no money but that they would give him what they did have.  "In the name of Jesus, rise and walk."  Then Peter took the man by the hand.  We sometimes tell people what they need to do, but don't take the next step and give them a hand.   You have to get them started on the next step.  And many times, the next and the next and the next.  That's called disciplining.

The lame man rose, jumped, leaped, and praised God.  But here is the thing I had missed when I previously taught this lesson.  Since he was lame, by Mosaic law, he couldn't enter the temple.  (Leviticus 21:17-18.)  The very first thing he did when he was healed was to run through the temple gate.  For the first time in his life he got to join the other worshipers inside the temple.  Jesus had made him whole.  And he gave his testimony to everyone who was there--praising Jesus.  Because of this, 5000 men became believers in the resurrected Christ.  And probably just as many women and Gentiles.

I was reminded of the Eunuch nobleman, who was not even Jewish, but had gone to Jerusalem to worship and had purchased a scroll from Isaiah.  Phillip met him and the Eunuch became a believer in Christ and asked, "What prevents me from being baptized?"  He was sure that since he was flawed that he wouldn't be able to be baptized.  Phillip baptized him.  Mosaic law was done with.  No more exclusions.  Our God has a big house.  Everyone is invited in.  There's a hallelujah party going on.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment