Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Snow!  Snow!!  And more snow!!!  I had to brave it to go out and get the paper this morning and dig around in the snow to find it.  It was covered.

And I can't make it without my daily fix of crossword, sudoko, cryptogram and all the rest of the newspaper nonsense.  I don't read the paper.  And yes, I could buy a book of all of those, but then I wouldn't know where to stop and would waste the rest of the day.  Which I do anyway.

But today, I'm going to render unto Caesar that which is Caesars and pay my taxes.  Or rather get them together to send to the tax man.  You would think that with a math degree and having taught business calc for years I could do it myself.  But no!  It involves adding.  And organization.  And figuring things out.

I did cut an article out of the paper--it was on the front page--about an explosion in a coal mine in Wilburton back in 1930 that killed a lot of miners.  I remember my dad telling me that he was called to come give blood.  He would have been 20 at the time (born in 1910) and had type O blood.  Universal donor.

He said they laid him on a table and put the guy that needed blood on the floor and ran a tube from him to the other guy.  Gravity ran it.  No fancy procedures in those days.  He said he also helped clear the mine of the dead. 

Immigrants from Italy were the largest group that worked the mines.  Later they moved to Krebs and opened restaurants.  Everyone in Oklahoma knows about Krebs Italian food.  I've eaten there a number of times through the years.

I remember once we ordered "mountain oysters" for everyone at the table, and Mom said it was the best chicken she had ever had.  We didn't tell her what it really was until later.  I thought she was going to croak.  Personally, I've always thought it was the best "Chicken" as well.  Anyone would--if you didn't tell them what they were eating.   

No comments:

Post a Comment