Tuesday, February 20, 2024

People in the news have started using a new buzz word.  “Calculus.”  They say things like, “It’s just not in the calculus at this time,” etc. etc.  Or something like: “The calculus isn’t working.”  As a person who taught calculus over my 20 year career at NEO A&M college, I have no idea what they are talking about.  And I am positive that they don’t know what they mean either...it’s just one of those words that someone used and every one in the news liked the way it sounded and started using it.  And have no idea what calculus is.

Many of my students didn’t understand the word either...but they were able to use the principle involved to go on to upper division math classes that use calculus.  And to complete Physics and engineering classes.

I wish someone on the news desk would say something like, “Calculus?  What do you mean?  What are you saying?   What is the calculus of what you are trying to say?......I”m waiting on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment