Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Back to the book of Matthew.  Matthew 12: 34b, "…for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks."  I think about this verse every time something comes out of my mouth that shouldn't.  Garbage in, garbage out.  The things you think about,  and the words you make a habit of saying,   that is what comes out of your mouth.

That's one reason I make such an effort to memorize scripture.

Matthew 12: 35, "A good man out of the good treasure of the heart brings forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things."  Ken says that your life experiences are like pictures that are hung in the gallery of your mind.   And when you least expect it, those pictures appear.  Some pictures return to convict us.  But there they hang.  Stuck on the wall.

Only God is able to paint over those canvases.  And when Satan would defeat us with past sin, we can appeal to Christ who covers our sin.  Painted in blood.

Our actions are the mark of our obedience.  Our reactions are the mark of what we have put in our mind.  When you drop a hammer on your foot, what comes out of your mouth?  I have been appalled by the way the world uses God's name so lightly.  "Oh, my God" is no longer a prayer.  Stop saying it.  Just because the world uses His name irreverently doesn't give you or I the right to use his name vainly.

Ken also says,  "Tell me who you are running with and I'll tell you what you are doing."  I married a very wise man.

Change what you do and you will change what you think.  Change what you think and you will change what you do.  Habits are very powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment