Monday, June 17, 2013

In the midst of His suffering on the cross, Jesus asked God,  "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Mark 15:34.

When something bad happens in your life, people always tell you that you shouldn't ask, "why".  I always thought that was true until I read this verse in Mark.

Jesus asked "Why?"  So it wasn't wrong.  He never did anything wrong. 

So I don't ever feel bad anymore asking God, "Why?"  I want to know.  It doesn't mean I will get an answer, but it also doesn't mean I shouldn't ask.  

Remember when you were a kid, you always asked your Mom "why?"  And she would say, "Because I said so".  That drove me nuts.  But truth was, I wouldn't have understood the reason behind her edicts until I was older anyway.  i didn't have the wisdom or the experience to understand.

God has his reasons as well.  He can see the big picture.  He is the one with the plan for humanity.  He is the one who created us.  He is the one that "intended" our purpose.

Every now and then He lets me in on it.  So when there is something I don't understand,  I just keep asking, "Why",  hoping I'll get an answer.   But I certainly don't let the questions that I haven't got an answer for get in the way of keeping on keeping on.  

The big thing in the middle of suffering is not to get bitter.  Or angry.  Maybe God will give you some answers to your questions when you grow up.  I guess I haven't gotten there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment