Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Ken and I have five children.  They love their father.  One of them sent us lobster, live, from Maine for Father's Day, so even though he didn't get to see any of them, he was well fed and happy.

I worked with young people in our church for years.  Had a friend, Bill S. that taught 17 year old young men,  Juniors in H.S.  He still works with young people--45 years and counting.  He is loved by hundreds and hundreds of young men who counted him as a second father.   Many of them are now fathers themselves and some of them grandfathers.  A good father is a legacy.

 We went to Falls Creek (Youth Camp) as sponsors any number of years and I loved to hear Bill interact with teenagers.  I remember him telling them, "You have to keep in mind that sin is fun.  If it wasn't any fun, you wouldn't be tempted to do it.  It may seem to pay off in the short term, but in the long term it will kill you and ruin your life."

Fathers, biological, adopted, step, friend or any other kind of father you may have,  are such a blessing.  I had the perfect father.  If I had been choosing from all the fathers in the world, he would have been my choice.  I could use every good adjective in the dictionary to describe him and still not do him justice.

Then there is The Father.  It's hard to believe that He is better than my dad, but I know that He is.  He must be awesome.  For those of you who didn't have great fathers, there is One.  And he loves you.

Deuteronomy 5:29b "…Seek the Lord your God (your Father), and you shall find him, if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul."  Everyone needs a father.  This Father had only one son, but he is willing to make you and I joint heirs with Christ if you seek Him.  In Romans 8:16-17b,  Paul tells us, "The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:  And if children, then heirs; heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ…"   We can have the same Father.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment