Thursday, October 17, 2013

We used to play hopscotch.  Marbles.  Hide and seek.  Now I ride down streets and rarely see children outside.  Nobody sits on their porches anymore.  What happened to porches?  I think I'm out of date.  I would like to see my neighbors every now and then.  If I hadn't given tomatoes away, I don't think I would ever have seen them.

We push  a button and the garage door goes up, we back the car out and we go somewhere, come home punch a button, up goes the garage door and we're back in our houses.  Last night Ken said, "Let's go drag main.  I want to see what's going on."  It was dark outside.  So I got him in the car and drove him downtown.  We drug main.  By ourselves.  Nobody drags main anymore.  Main street  in Pryor was pretty well empty.

I don't know what to think about all that.  I can't be like Peter and go down to the docks and tell everyone what Christ has done in my life.  So I go through the window at McDonalds and say, "God bless you."

But the nicest thing happened yesterday.  The man who lives on the South of us knocked at the door and said, "If you will get your garbage can outside your garage door,  I'll get your garbage out to the street from now on."  (We have a long, long driveway.)   "Don't worry about it anymore.  And when I get in from work at three the next morning, I'll bring the garbage can back to the garage for you."  What a nice thing for him to do.  And what a help that will be to me.  I met them passing out tomatoes!!  

Neighbors are out there.  I just have to work harder to connect, to meet new people and tell them about Christ.  Tell the guy who comes to fix the heater!  That's what I did yesterday.  And he listened.

I'm happy.  Blessed.  I got up this morning and thought about all the women in the world who don't have running water.  Thank God for running water.  And my heater is running again.





No comments:

Post a Comment